Milestone Health Response to COVID-19
Milestone Health Services is taking every action to keep our clients, their families, and our team safe during the global novel coronavirus pandemic. The majority of our clients are elderly and therefore at greater risk of complications if they contract COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus.
As our nurses and PSWs continue to care for clients in their homes, we recognize our tremendous responsibility in protecting clients’ safety and well-being. We value the trust you place in us at this challenging time.
What we are doing:
- Closely monitoring and following public health guidance from the World Health Organization, Health Canada, and the Ontario government, to ensure our team follows best practices for infection prevention.
- Educating all team members on recognizing the symptoms of COVID-19 in themselves and others and the need to stay home if they are sick.
- Requiring all team members to complete a daily screening questionnaire about any COVID-19 symptoms or potential virus exposure before they can schedule visits to client homes.
- Training all team members in cleaning protocols known to effectively reduce the risk of virus transmission, including frequent proper handwashing and cleaning of surfaces, especially high-touch surfaces (e.g., counters, door knobs, sinks, medical equipment).
- Providing personal protective equipment (PPE) such as surgical/procedure masks and gloves to be worn at all times during visits to client homes, including training on wearing, removing and disposing of PPE.
- Offering virtual visits by video or phone if clients and their families prefer during this time. We will work with you to offer seamless care through virtual visits tailored to your schedule, needs and preferences.
Where to find more information about COVID-19:
- Public Health Ontario fact sheet on how to prevent COVID-19 for older adults and people with chronic medical conditions or weakened immune systems
- Ontario Ministry of Health’s COVID-19 site – includes self-assessment tool, where to find an assessment centre, information on infection prevention
- Public Health Ontario Information on COVID-19 – fact sheets, testing information, links to medical research
- Telehealth Ontario – source of free medical advice staffed by Registered Nurses
- Government of Canada’s COVID-19 information – news updates, Canada’s official response, travel advisories
- World Health Organization’s COVID-19 information – public advice, global updates, frequently asked questions